Europes premier Trad. Jazz station playing the happy sound of traditional jazz music, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. To tune in, go to www.seanmoyses.com and follow the TRAD JAZZ RADIO link.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Chris Barber's first ever recordings now on TJR.


Hi Friends.
For some time I've been mucking about putting old tapes and cassettes onto CDs. Recently I've been trying to get some of the old discs onto CD (which really hasn'tbeen a problem) and onto MP3 files (which has!). Now I think I've managed to MP3 my two Chris Barber Tempo 78's which were cut in their Hampstead studio on 11 Oct 1949. So we have Hugh Middleton- cornet, Alex Revell- clarinet, Chris- trombone, Colin Bennett- piano, Arthur Huxley- banjo and myself drums on drums.
The titles are:-
TR557A Mabel's Dream,
TR558A Working Man Blues,
TR559A Gatemouth,
TR560A Doctor Jazz.
These were the very first recordings made by Chris. Alex, Colin and I had made some earlier 78's with other bands but these "Tempo" label sides are very hard to find now and I thought you might like to hear them -"warts and all", as the saying goes. That is, of course, if my MP3 compression has worked properly!
If it's all producing half-way decent results with my present (very elementary) set-up here, I might spend a few pension-pennies on "upgrading" some of the bits. Hope you don't mind being used as the proverbial 'guinea pig'!
Keep the discs spinning....
Cheers,
John Westwood